Friday, February 22, 2008

How It Came to Be



This post is for all those nosey ladies out there. I had several comments on my last post about how I met Matt. So here it goes, I will tell our love story.

How could this happen? How can you search and search and date a lot of wrong people, to only be surprised to find true love, when you least expect it? That is exactly what happened when I met Matt. It was a very cold and icy night in December. I had just traveled back from Christmas break at my parents. It took me forever to get back because the roads were closing right behind me. I remember seeing several wrecks that day. I finally got to my rent house, that Holly and I shared. We were teaching in the DFW area and were roommates. I remember being so tired and not wanting to do anything. April called me and Mike and her wanted me to do something with them that night. They finally talked me into coming over. We were going to a guy's house that Mike worked with to see his puppies. After that then we were going to listen to a band. Little did I or even April know that Mike had a different idea.

So I met my true love by showing up on his doorstep. This was so God that took me to Matt's house. I remember walking in his and his roommates house and seeing all the dead animals hanging on the walls. Little did I know, that one day I too would have these lovely things hanging in my house. I walked out to their backyard. The backyard was so huge. It was about an acre, so the guys had their trucks out by the fire pit. They were tailgating and listening to music. I met Matt and thought oh, he has a cute baby face. He seem to want to know more about me because I heard him ask Mike a lot of questions. I told April that I was not wanting a relationship and was NOT into him. I did however enjoy his dog Creole, she had just had lab puppies. That at the time was the one thing he did have going for him.

Not sure who or even if we invited Matt along with us but anyway he tagged along. I was not sure about this idea. We went to Cowboys a bar with a live band and huge dance floor. We got there and the band was on a break so a fast song was playing. April and I ran out to dance to my surprise Matt followed us out on the dance floor. Man, I was impressed he could really dance. Then the band came back on and Matt asked me to dance. Well, let's just say that he swept me off my feet. He was a incredible dancer. By the end of the night I was SO INTO him. From that point on we started dating and got married 11 months later in Hawaii with our friends and family. It is funny how we ended up together but it works for us.

Here are some of the reasons I'm still so in love with Matt!


1. He can read me like a book. He is so into me he can read my moods and sometimes my thoughts. He knows when I need my space or just need a hug and told how much I mean to him. He is so sweet and considerate. .

2. He is an Awesome cook! He so loves to cook. This use to upset me because after all I am the wife, so I should be the one in the kitchen right? He would always take over or tell me a better way or easier way to do something. Things have changed now and I so let him have the kitchen. I still like to cook and will do it as long as he is not around to "help". What usually happens is I will start dinner and he will come home and finish it. Or here lately he has just surprised me and had dinner ready when I get home.

3. He loves order and things to be neat. This also use to get on my ever-loving-nerves! When we first got married he would make the bed. Well, that doesn't sound so bad except I was still in it! He also likes to clean out things. So if things are around the house and we have not used them in over 6 months they are gone. I once woke up late one Saturday morning to find he was having a garage sale. I must say I do now love and respect his neatness. He has so lighten up since kids. He still loves a clean house. I guess it just easier to clean it while the kids and I are gone. ( earlier this month's blog)

4. He is my best friend. He is so different from me but I think that is why we work so well together. He loves now after 6 1/2 yrs. to just stay up and talk with about life and our future. He loves being my husband and tries everyday to be a better one. He's such a wonderful, trustworthy friend!

5. He is such a good Daddy. He is so crazy about his kids. He loves spending time with them and creating memories. He loves to do Daddy stuff with Brylie since she is older. They will have projects in the garage all the time. Brylie and him built a bird house last spring. It is hanging on our play set outside. She still talks about her day with her Daddy building the bird house. I love at night he will move the furniture and play basketball with Lawson and usually Brylie joins in. He is a wonderful Daddy.

6. He still has it! He can still dance. It so cracks me up when I trying to be serious or I am mad at him he will usually break at in a dance. Sometimes he will want me to dance with him. He knows how to get to me and it makes me laugh. My favorite time is of course when he is dancing with his little princess. She so loves dancing with her princes.


As you can tell I could go on and on about this wonderful man. I still love him as much as I always have and that love grows even more each day. What is our secret for happiness? I'll sum it up - love, respect, and communication but the most important factor is keeping God first in our lives. So I'm tagging all the ladies out in the blog world. I need to hear your love stories and why you are still in love with your man.

11 comments:

Allison R said...

So sweet!

Sarah said...

Awwwww! Matt is such a great guy!;) I really enjoyed your love story!

Anonymous said...

God definitely wrote your love story. I was blessed to get to watch it unfold from a close point of view. You know I love you both and your kids. Loved hearing your love story again!

April Carrasco said...

Such fun memories! All, I can say is I have never been twirled like that before. Matt is such a good dancer. I just remember he kept saying, let me lead. Oops! Man, I cannot believe how much time has gone by. So glad God put y'all together that cold, winter's night. Love y'all!

realitymomma said...

that is a sweet story. he is hansome and you make a beautiful couple - and kids! your daughter looks like you and your son looks like him, how appropriate!

like the quirks about him. we would so get along on the neat and orderly. i clean out drawers and closets and cabinets and yes, there is a "certain" way to make the bed! that is my OCD.....
glad you found true love and happiness!

Procters said...

I have always loved your story. I also love the way Matt cooks and cleans when he comes to MY house:)

The Brays said...

We are so blessed to have your precious family a part of our lives. What a sweet way to begin!

SS said...

I knew that you and I had always had similar personalities, and I guess it's true that opposites attract, because he sounds so much like Colt. That's a great story!

Chelle said...

Love the story~and pictures! You have inspired me, I am heading to my own blog to "follow suit" and tell our story.

Happy Mama said...

What a sweet story! I remember when your aunt Linda told me about you getting married in Hawaii and I thought that sounded so romantic! :) He sounds like a keeper and such a cutie! Ya'll are a beautiful couple~

Larissa said...

That is sooo sweet! Thanks for sharing that story with the nosey ladies! :) To me that says so much about the provision God has in our lives!